- Decrease risk (discount rate) 2 pts: $80,000
- Increase profitability 10%: $100,000
- Increase annual growth 2 pts per year: $120,000
- Do your top five customers comprise more than 15% of sales?
- Are you dependent upon just a few suppliers? Are they in good financial health?
- Could your business successfully operate without you or other key employee(s)?
- How loyal are your customers?
- Are your gross margins and expenses in-line with the industry?
- Are you operating as efficiently as possible?
- Would your customer base absorb a price increase?
- Is there an opportunity to decrease costs from suppliers?
- Is there a market to grow your business?
- Do you have the capacity to grow?
- Can you expand your service offering or hours of operation?
- Are there other channels though which you could sell your products?
Execute some “easy hits” and start to see the value of your business grow.
Develop plans to mitigate risk, which might include widening your customer base, diversifying suppliers, training your successor and cross-training others on staff.
Benchmark your performance against others in the industry and develop a plan that has your business operating at the top quartile of your peer group within a year or two.
If you are wanting to transition your business in 3 – 5 years, consider growth strategies which are consistent with your desired risk and profitability targets.